Saturday, June 20, 2009

Qingwen, your hair is in my mouth!

">Living in this city of 21 million leaves one with no concept of personal space especially when riding the subway. No matter what time of day it is and on which day of the week it is, the subway is always packed.

This is a picture of the subway at peak hour (about 6:00 pm on a weekday). On this particular trip, I could smell everything from the shampoo of the lady in front of me to the b.o. of the man next to me. I found it rather amusing initially and had Kenneth take a few snaps of me with my cheeks pressed against the sliding doors. But at subsequent stations, people kept piling on and on and on … we were even more squished than sardines in a can. The amazing thing is that not one person thought to themselves “There's no way I am going to fit in this carriage” and just let the train pass. The next train will only be a 5 minute wait, afterall. Where there is a will, there is a way, I guess!

I ended up practically carrying my handbag on my head and I felt like screaming “Qingwen (excuse me), your hair's in my mouth!” Not so amusing anymore. Serves me right for finding it all amusing initially when others battle this daily.

No comments:

Post a Comment