Saturday, April 18, 2009

My Mandarin

After being sent home to re-do in detail our travel itinerary in order to obtain that currently elusive Chinese visa by the Chinese Consulate in Toorak, we have finally come close to finalising that itinerary save for some minor tweaking here and there. The one country we will be spending most time in will be China - that great and vast motherland of ours! Our days in China will add up to a whole 2 months (out of our 6 month journey).

We figured that since Kenneth can only speak Japanese and zilch Mandarin, I'd better brush up on my Grade 1 Mandarin pronto! One of the ways I am doing this is by watching a Korean drama series called "Autumn In My Heart" and watching it dubbed in Mandarin. I am picking up a lot of Mandarin this way. Unfortunately, the rate at which hot wet tears are streaming down my cheeks during each episode outweighs my language absorption! Why do they make them so sad? Why am I so prone to tears? The storyline must strike a chord with me. Asian dramas and movies are usually over-the-top dramatic, corny and cheesy but they move my emotions, nevertheless. I always cry watching Korean dramas and this one is leaving me too spent after each session to do further research on the travel destinations I am headed for or to start packing up!